Pardon my french.
But I need to say something about this.
Okay, so there’s this website where you try to get people to raise money for whatever project you have so that it can get fully funded by the website.
That’s where my friend let me know about THIS project. Called Girl-to-Girl.
SO, here is the summary *straight from the website* : Girl-to-Girl is a reality web series that follows the daily lives and interactions of eight young, up-and-coming, lesbians as they spend a summer living together in The G2G House. The goal of this project is to enhance the very limited world of gay and lesbian media. While entertainment is our medium, the true purpose of Girl-to-Girl is to provide GLBTQ youth with content that is relatable and realistic. We hope to provide said youth with a sense of community that we lacked growing up and coming out.
and here is why I am SO enraged: I need to calm down from my anger to put into words why this makes me so angry.. let me put it into a list.
1. This web series follows eight WHITE CIS SKINNY WOMEN. I’m sorry but where’s the diversity in that.
2. They are basically trying to raise money to pay the rent to film a FUCKING REALITY TV SHOW.
3. They claim that the point of this whole thing is to widen the “limited view of gay and lesbian media” by making a show about eight lesbians. I’M SORRY, HAVEN’T YOU SEEN THE L WORD. That’s already a show. Now, I agree that there is a limited perception and view of the LGBTQ community in the media. I agree with that wholeheartedly. But they are just adding to the probelm with yet another limited view. A white, female, lesbain perspective.
4. How fucking dare you. How dare you claim that your show will bring a sense of community for youth who identify as LGBTQIA when you are only representing one of the most privileged and represented percentage of that community.
5. NO. Just, no.
Fuck this project bro.
In case you don’t know.. (which a lot of you probably don’t)
There’s a whole hell of a lot of Trans* events happening at Roosevelt University this month!
That’s right, because Feminist United and RU proud have decided to collaborate and dedicate this whole moth of November to Trans* events, panels and workshops!!
How fun, right?
They kicked off the month with a Trans* 101 (the basics) workshop. Led by some lovely people from the BYC (Howard Brown Youth Center. They even gave out some handy handouts that I’ll go through and post from a little later.
In the coming weeks there will be performances from AFYT, a panel on the intersections of the Trans* community and them some gurl!
How much will it cost you?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! It’s all FREE. Not to mention free food will be provided y’all.
So get up in these links below (the event pages on Facebook) and RSVP and invite all your friends!!
F. U. Facebook page: href=”http://www.facebook.com/FeministsUnited”
- Queer folks: Let's talk about queer oppression!
- Gay men: Wait, what oppression is there besides that which happens to us?
- Queer folks: Let's talk about queer rights!
- Gay men: There's not anything besides gay marriage, right?
- Queer folks: Let's have a queer safe space!
- Gay men: Well, there's gay men and straight women here, who else are we missing?
- Queer folks: Let's make a queer online support group!
- Gay men: Half-nude men are relevant to everyone, right?
- Queer folks: Let's have a giant queer party!
- Gay men: Sweet, the whole French Quarter to us! Hope the rest of you enjoy travelling to the other side of the city where there's no power.